Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Virginia Kendall, Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Here are the photographs from a recent trip to Virginia Kendall in Cuyahoga Valley National Park. In October, a hiker from Pennsylvania  asked me if the Cuyahoga Valley was worth visiting. I said, "no" and this hike in the Ledges made me ashamed of my answer. I've been here at least a dozen times and I remember the drive from when I was a kid. I think I avoid this trail because of how busy it gets in the summer. Coming back on a November evening, I had the trail mostly to my self. Even though Ice Box Cave has been closed to help stop the spread of White Nose Bat Syndrome, there wasn't a shortage of interesting spots among the rocks.




 
Puddingstone
 
 
 

When my grandparents brought me here as a kid they told me that Indians slept in the caves where the rock ledges meet the ground. These crevices which skirt the bottoms of the ledges in their small canyons are small, wet, full of rocks and logs. It's very unlikely that anyone slept there but I didn't doubt it when they said it. I was very impressed by that. I think American kids have an image of Native Americans as being supernatural. I don't remember anything else they said on those hikes.


No comments:

Post a Comment